Google+ Followers

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Did you know that dogs can sniff out a dangerous drop in blood sugar in a diabetic owner?



The dog alerts the owner by pawing, licking, whining, or barking until the person takes action. There have even been trained dogs placed as diabetic service pets. Their nose for hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is correct up to 90% of the time!

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Are your pet's ears dirty?

Would you like to see how to clean your pet's ears in just a few easy steps? Watch a video on our YouTube channel to learn!

Friday, May 10, 2013

Giving flowers for Mother's Day?



There are a large variety of pretty but poisonous flowers and plants that can be found in your home and garden.  Please keep them out of your pets reach until you can verify with your local nursery that it is safe for your dog or cat.Your fur baby's reaction to ingesting a toxic plant can be fairly mild, or he/she may become dehydrated, suffer from vomiting and diarrhea or worse.  If your pet has eaten some dangerous greenery, please contact us immediately at 407-366-4486, the Pet Poison Hotline at 800-213-6680, or the Veterinary Emergency Clinic at 407-644-4449.

Visit our website www.seminoletrail.com for a list of common plants to keep away from your pet.


Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Why summertime may be harmful to your pet...



Top 5 Summer Toxins
According to the ASPCA the five most fast-acting, lethal summer toxins can be found in nearly every neighborhood:
1) Methomyl
Methomyl is a potent carbamate commonly found in fly baits. Unfortunately some people also kill pests by adding the chemical to a tasty food such as soda or ground beef.
2) Sulfonyl Fluoride
Used in warmer climates to treat drywood termites, this is typically used when a house is tented. The biggest concern is if an animal is forgotten in the house or sneaks back into the house.
3) Metaldehyde
Metaldehyde is used to kill snails and slugs.
4) Disulfoton
This potent systemic insecticide is used for rose bushes.
5) Aldicarb
Outside of commercial agriculture use, the most common exposure in pets is from a rodenticide product that is illegal here but imported from South America. It goes by the name "Tres Pasitos." 

Not only do we see very serious symptoms (seizures, respiratory problems, tremors) but the onset of signs can be fast and progress to death quickly. If you are concerned that your pet may have been exposed to any chemical, please contact us at 407-366-4486 or Pet Poison Control (a 24/7 Animal Poison Control Center at 800-213-6680), so we can address the issues properly.

www.seminoletrail.com

Monday, May 6, 2013

Watch how "sweet" you are to your pet!


Xylitol is poisonous to your pet! Here are some common signs to watch for: Weakness, lethargy, vomiting, tremors, seizures, black tar-like stool
We all may  feed our dogs and cats human food from time-to-time, but please stop and think the next time you want to give them a snack. Recently, in the Orlando area, a woman lost her dog to Xylitol poisoning. Her dog ate a cake that was baked at home with the toxic ingredient. According to the ASPCA, heartbreaking stories like this are more common than you may  think. There were nearly 3,200 Xylitol poisonings across the country last year - up nearly 800 from just a few years ago.
Xylitol is a sugar-free sweetener commonly found in many chewing gums, mints, foods (e.g., pudding, baked goods, gelatin snacks, etc.), oral rinses, toothpastes, and OTC supplements (e.g., sugar-free multivitamins, fish oils, etc.). The xylitol content of these products can vary widely depending on the brand and flavor. In pets, ingestion can cause acute, life-threatening low blood sugar within 10-15 minutes and can also result in liver failure. If you suspect your dog or cat ingested xylitol, contact us at 407-366-4486 or Pet Poison Helpline (a 24/7 Animal Poison Control Center at 800-213-6680) immediately for treatment recommendations. The veterinarian will need to see the pet right away (be sure to know what the pet has eaten), and treatment may include monitoring of blood sugar and liver values, IV fluids, and other medications. Blood work (evaluating liver function) will be re-evaluated frequently, depending on the toxic dose ingested.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Looking for a forever home



My name is Hank. I am sweet, mellow, enjoy walks and like to play.
My name is Tiny. I am energetic, loyal and listen well!

Each dog is looking for a new home, because their owner is ill and can no longer take care of them like they need. They are "family" but do not need to be together - you know how siblings can be! They are each neutered and current on vaccines. If you think you would like to meet either dog, please let call us at 407-366-4486 or email us at stah2000@bellsouth.net. Thanks for reading and feel free to pass on their information..... Hope to hear from you soon. Each dog will make a lucky family very happy!

Hank found his forever home! Tiny is looking forward to finding hers!