Google+ Followers

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Christmas Tree Safety


The beautiful Christmas Tree you decorated could potentially contain fertilizers, preservatives or even pesticides that can get into the water supply of the tree. Most preservatives used to keep Christmas trees green and fresh are generally not poisonous, but can lead to an upset stomach if ingested.

When the tree is placed in the base, the water can become stagnant, which may develop bacteria cultures. The preservatives and stagnant water could potentially result in nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea. The National Christmas Tree Association (yes, there is an organization for this) advises the use of just water in the Christmas Tree stand in order to protect small children and animals from the preservatives. Also, cover the base of the tree to minimize the chance for exposure.