Google+ Followers

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Turkey bones


 
with or without meat on them, are very dangerous.  They may get stuck in part of the digestive tract and cause a blockage that does not allow anything else to pass.  The bones may splinter; causing a
sharp point that can scrape, cut, or perforate the animal’s gastrointestinal tract.  This can cause damage from the esophagus down to the rectum.

A blockage that is left untreated can lead to further complications such as tissue death, shock, or eventually death.  Even if the bone doesn’t result in a blockage, there is still the possibility for an internal abrasion.  Symptoms for the above problems may include vomiting most of what they eat or drink, depression, weight loss, diarrhea, sore abdomen, and dehydration.  If you know your pet has gotten into bones, please let us know as soon as possible.  We may need to see your pet for an exam and x-rays.